IEEE is returning to the annual South by Southwest® (SXSW®) Interactive Festival in Austin, Texas, 8-12 March 2019. Curated in partnership with SXSW, the 2019 IEEE “Tech for Humanity Series” includes global thought leaders and luminaries in technology participating in five focused speaking sessions. All sessions can be searched for in the official SXSW schedule under the query “IEEE” and followed using the hashtag #IEEESXSW on Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and Twitter.
IEEE’s eighth annual SXSW series explores key trends and critical issues at the intersection of technology advancement, human rights, and digital identity. Sessions will discuss ethical concerns in an era of artificial intelligence and automation, technology’s role in the evolution of humanity, advancements in clinical VR and virtual humans, empathetic technology and human evolution and the future of digital human identity.
SXSW Chief Programming Officer Hugh Forrest remarked, “We’re glad to see IEEE return to SXSW in 2019. For eight years, they have helped curate some terrific sessions featuring some of the world’s leading technologists and innovators. The IEEE 2019 “Tech for Humanity” lineup at SXSW builds upon past collaborative efforts to showcase thought leaders, creative thinkers, leading-edge technologies, critical issues and insights related to the challenges and impacts new technologies will have on humanity.”
The 2019 IEEE “Tech for Humanity Series” sessions and speakers include:
- Two Choices for Humanity’s Digital Future
Saturday, 9 March 9:30 a.m. – Fairmont Manchester EFG
- Katryna Dow — CEO of Meeco; IEEE Member
- Prioritizing Play in an Automated Age
Saturday 9 March 12:30 p.m. – Fairmont Manchester EFG
- John Cohn — IBM Fellow; IEEE Fellow; MIT-IBM Watson AI Research Group
- Empathetic Technology & the End of the Poker Face
Sunday 10 March 12:30 p.m. – Fairmont Manchester EFG
- Poppy Crum —Chief Scientist, Dolby Labs; IEEE Associate Member
- A Magic Leap in (Virtual) Humanity
Sunday 10 March 5:00 p.m. – Fairmont Manchester AB
- Skip Rizzo — Director, Medical Virtual Reality – Institute for Creative Technologies Research Professor – Dept. of Psychiatry and School of Gerontology; IEEE Member
- Arno Harholt — Director of Research and Development Integration Institute for Creative Technologies, University of Southern California
- Nicole Samec — Healthcare Product Manager, Magic Leap
For additional information, visit the IEEE “Tech for Humanity” series website.
Beyond Standards is dedicated to promoting technology standards and celebrating the contributions of the individuals and organizations across the globe who drive technology development. Beyond Standards is brought to you by the IEEE Standards Association, a leading consensus building organization within IEEE that nurtures, develops and advances global technologies. IEEE standards drive the functionality, capabilities and interoperability of a wide range of products and services that transform the way people live, work and communicate. With collaborative thought leaders in more than 160 countries, we promote innovation, enable the creation and expansion of international markets and help protect health and public safety.